Do I have to be a nonprofit organization to apply?
No, any type of organization may apply.
Can an individual apply for funding?
Yes, if they have the capacity to execute on a project that meets the funding criteria.
Do I have to be based in Bend to apply?
No; however, your project must create sustainable resources and experiences through the funding of tourism related facilities in Bend’s community.
What are the eligibility criteria my project must meet to be considered for funding?
The BSF awards grants to projects meeting the following criteria:
- All known barriers that would inhibit the start or completion of the project have been cleared.
- Will protect, steward or create a tourism-related facility with an impactful life of greater than 10 years
- Said facility will have a substantial use by visitors
- Has a clear timeline and measurable outcomes within the next 12 months
- Has grassroots, community support
How do you define sustainability?
Our sustainability model seeks to find balance between the economy, people and place. Our community is dependent on each of these elements, and it is important to find a balance between them as we strive towards a thriving, sustainable community for residents and visitors alike.
Can I apply for a 2-year grant?
Yes. While most of our grants will be on a 1-year funding cycle, if your project has a longer timeline, we are able to fund projects over a 2-year time horizon.
Where does the money for the Bend Sustainability Fund come from?
The Bend Sustainability Funding is provided through the allocation City of Bend Transient Room Tax. No additional taxes were levied to create the Bend Sustainability Fund.
How do I apply?
To apply, click here.
When is the grant application window?
The grant application is open from September 1-30. Specific dates and times will be included on the website and grant application. This is an online application, so please plan accordingly.
When will grants be awarded?
Awards will be announced in early December of each year.
We missed the grant application deadline. Can we still apply for a grant?
No, not this year. You will have to wait until next year. However, you can reach out now to discuss your project ideas.
May we submit more than one grant application per deadline?
You may, but it is not advised. If you have specific project questions, contact us.
If we receive funds in this round, may we apply again next year?
If we are a named partner in one application, can we be the lead applicant in another?
What are the most common reasons a project isn’t funded?
- Project does not find the legal definition of “Tourism Related Facility” as defined by the State of Oregon Statute. Please review the legal guidelines regarding the use of Transient Room Tax for Tourism Related Facilities.
- Project is not shovel-ready; all known hurdles that would allow for the start and completion of the project have not been cleared.
- The project and its eligibility has not been reviewed by the BSF team. Reach out to us to discuss your project before submitting your application.
- The applicant does not have the capacity to execute on the project.
- The applicant has not reviewed the project with the appropriate land manager.
What types of projects are not funded through the BSF?
- NEPA or Environmental Impact Studies
- Advocacy / Outreach Campaigns
- Policy / Legal Campaigns
- Land Protection Campaigns
- Riparian / Stream Restoration
- Outdoor Education Projects
- Maintenance Only Requests
- Recycling Station
How can I increase my odds of securing funding through the Bend Sustainability Fund?
Review this document to learn how to submit a competitive application.
Where can I find the BSF logo and branding guidelines for my website and project signage?
Basic brand guidelines and logos can be found here. Contact us if you need logos in a different format or have other questions.